COLON VILLAGE COUNCIL
Colon Village Hall
REGULAR MEETING – May 8, 2018
Meeting Call to Order at 7:00 PM – Pledge of Allegiance was said
Present: Dick Delp, Ruth Ann Kuhlmann, Sharon Craun, Linda Norton, Marilyn McManus, Carl Thornton, Edith Doenges.
Also Present: Tyler F&V, Jim Brody, Tom Tenney, Mike Voss, Dan Earl, Rick Fisher, Kelly Pucci, Chief Brinkert, Jim Weinberg, Elizabeth Mason, BJ Mallon, Ken Jones Sr., Brandon Baker, Dave Kuhn, & Kurt Kuhlmann.
Approve Consent Agenda – RA Kuhlmann made a motion to approve the consent agenda, the minutes from the April 10, 2018 and April expenditures in the amount of $63,421.65. M. McManus seconded the motion. The motion carried.
Public Comments –
- Ken Jones Sr. – St. Joseph County Edge – president of Edge. The Edge has replaced St. Joseph County EDC. The board has been filled and is now managed totally by private businesses. Jones invited the village of Colon to join the Edge with a two-year commitment. Membership would be $982 a year. The Edge is connected with South West Michigan First which is a consortium of several counties.
- Brandon Baker – Further discussion on Medical Marijuana dispensary
- Dave Kuhn – Docks at Veterans Memorial Park – Information for the docks was presented to the council. There are a number of people willing to fund the project. Also, a number of questions were presented to Kuhn asked by the insurance company. Questions should be answered in writing by next meeting.
- Rick Fisher – sidewalk & Building – questioning when the sidewalks will be replaced. Fisher asked about the Village Office building.
- Interim Village Manager Report – as presented.
- Department of Public Works – report as presented. Craun made a motion to hire a part-time Summer DPW worker at $12.80 per hour with no benefits, for 2 days a week, 6 hours a day, 12 hours a week. Must pass a physical and drug test. L. Norton seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Police – report as presented. Craun made a motion to hire Ann Hosteler to clean the Police Department at a rate of $11.00 per hour for 2 hours per week, with no benefits. RA Kuhlmann seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Fireboard Report – will meet May 9, 2018. Council requested minutes in the future.
- Lake Board Report – Lake Board met on Saturday, April 12, 2018 9 & 10 at township hall.
- Planning Commission – plan a meeting. Zoning issues.
- Colon Community Park Board – Eddie Doenges no meeting.
- DDA Committee Report – meeting on Thursday, May 10th. At 11:00.
- Farmers Market – sale is pending on Lamb Knit property – S. Craun made a motion to suspend the Farmers Market for the 2018 season. RA Kuhlmann seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Well Head Protection – under new business
- Zoning Ordinance Review – RA Kuhlmann nothing to report
- Blight Report – report was place in the packet. Chief Brinkert reported on the property at 432 Barry Street. The owner was sited and court date has been set.
- Other committee Reports – none
- Village of Colon Credit Card Policy & Resolution – S. Craun made a motion to approve the policy and resolution for Village and to authorize credit cards to department heads. RA Kuhlmann seconded the motion. Roll call vote was taken. Yeas: RA Kuhlmann, D. Delp, S. Craun, L. Norton, C. Thornton, M. McManus, E. Doenges. Nays: none. Motion carried. The head of DPW, the Chief of Police, the Office Manager, the Village Manager and Village Treasurer will be issued a credit card.
- Banking Proposal and Online Banking – M. McManus made a motion to table this item. Delp seconded. Motion carried.
- Leasing proposal on Copy/Printer/Fax machine – Two proposals were presented to the Council. Thornton made a motion to accept the lease pricing proposal from Xerox for a five-year agreement at a cost of $176.01 per month, in addition each color impression will cost $0.0496, no charge for black and white impressions. S. Craun second the motion. The motion carried.
- Letter from Umbaugh Water Asset Management program – Information to the council for a new well field may be needed in the near future.
- Utility (water/sewer) Billing procedures – addition or Ordinance # 2017-12-9 & delinquent payments. Information of the existing policy.
- Introduction of New office personnel & council vote to approve. Norton made a motion to hire Billi Joe Farrnad as the Office Manager at a rate of $18.00 per hour with all benefit according to the employee handbook & Julie Dekker as Billing Clerk at a rate of $13.00 per hour with all benefits according to the employee handbook. D. Delp seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- Fleis & Fandenbrink – Identifying potential well sites & WHPP 2019 review. RA Kuhlmann made a motion to appoint Fleis & Vandenbrink to identify a new well site and to apply for a DEQ 50/50 Grant. Application is to be made June 15th. Grants will be awarded in August to begin work in October. This grant is for a period of one year. The total cost will be $12,000.00. The village would be responsible for $6,000.00. Delp seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- DNR suggestions on geese & duck at Veterans Memorial Park D. Delp made a motion to allow the Village to trap and relocate the geese and ducks at Veterans Memorial Park. Craun seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- Employee insurance rebate from B/C & B/S – S. Craun made a motion to research and distribute the employee insurance rebate from BCBS. RA Kuhlmann seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- M-Dot Permit closure of M-86 for the 4th of July Parade – Pam Gilbert acquired the permit for the Village.
Public Comments – BJ Mallon spoken in favor of the Medical Marijuana dispensary
Council Comments –
- Thank You note from Ann Oldenberg for allowing her to apply for the open positions.
- Letter from Michigan Department of Treasury SAW Grant disbursement $80,667.73.
Adjournment – M. McManus made a motion to adjourn. S. Craun seconded the motion. Motion carried. The meeting adjourned at 9:17 PM
Kurt P. Kuhlmann, Clerk/Treasurer