COLON VILLAGE COUNCIL
Colon Village Hall
REGULAR MEETING – August 8, 2017
Meeting Call to Order at 7:00 PM – Pledge of Allegiance was said
Present: Edith Doenges, Dick Delp, Ruth Ann Kuhlmann, Nancy Percival, Sharon Craun, Linda Norton, and Diane Downs
Also Present: Chief Brinkert, Jim Weinberg, Tammy Fredenburg, Michael Mitchell, Mike Voss, Dan Earl, Kelly Pucci, Ashley Staecker, Pam Gilbert, Kris Ackerman, Ned Haylett, and Kurt Kuhlmann
Approve Agenda: N. Percival made a motion to accept the agenda with the addition to New Business, item H. the resignation of Tammy Fredenburg. Motion carried.
- Five Star Pizza possibly installed a new sign without obtaining appropriate permits.
Consent Agenda: N. Percival made a motion to approve the minutes from July 11 and July 25 meetings and bills in the amount of $104,959.52. S. Craun seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Communications/Petitions/Miscellaneous: Ned Haylett from the Three Rivers and Sturgis Chambers of Commerce’s would like to encourage the Village Council to consider civility at meetings and incorporating civility statement into regular practice.
- Department of Public Works – report as presented
- Police – report as presented
- Craun made a motion to hire Officer Jody Hughes as a part time officer at $13 an hour with no benefits. RA Kuhlmann seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Office Manager – report as presented with the exception of sending Ashley to receive training on the new BS&A Tax Program.
- Village Manager
- Economic Development round table discussed economic growth occurring from the existing businesses more than new businesses.
- Lamberson Dam issue
- Fleis & Vandenbrink advised the Village of MDEQ’s requirement for water system Asset Management Plan (AMP). A minimum of $3000 will be required to complete by January 1, 2018 deadline.
- Lamb Knit Building – The Village has received several inquiries about Lamb Knit building from an engineering firm who perform sit location services for Dollar General.
- Mitchell is working with a firm to refinance the 2000 water bonds. More information will be forth coming.
- SME Geotechnical Evaluation Service Results – the results of the borings determined that building on the Village Property on M-86 would not be feasible.
- Follow-up discussion with Attorney Davis
- President Downs moved to table the discussion until a written report can be presented to President Downs regarding the meeting between Attorney Davis, S. Craun and RA Kuhlmann on August 1st, 2017. Downs had requested to attend such a meeting but was not advised of the meeting. M. Mitchell was informed of the meeting by email but did not see the email until after the meeting. N. Percival seconded the motion. The motion did not pass.
- Craun made a motion to hire Attorney Davis as the Village Attorney to handle Municipal affairs. RA Kuhlmann seconded the motion. The motion carried with one nay vote, D. Downs and one abstention, N. Percival.
- Request by Douglas Kuhlmann regarding Livermore Property Address. N. Percival made a motion to assign lots 9 & 10 of the plat presented to the Council to have a street address of Dina Street and to have Mitchell file the papers necessary with St. Joseph County to have the street address of lot 11 be changed from Blackstone Street to Dina Street when the property is sold. D. Delp seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Goals for remainder of FY 2017-2018 & FY 2018-2019 (from Goal Session)
Part 2 – Mitchell combined the existing Master Plan, Rec Plan, and the list from the Goal Session meeting of July 25th. N. Percival made a motion to adopt the proposed Goals for the Village of Colon as presented. S. Craun seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Bid approval for Sidewalk Repair
- The Council questioned the big difference between the bids for the sidewalk repair – Stump Construction: $31, 580 and Farrand Flat Work: $4,985.
- RA Kuhlmann made a motion to have the Streets and Sidewalk Committee work on specs and to obtain bids by the next meeting. S. Craun seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Construction Board of Appeals Appointment – N. Percival made a motion to appoint Butch Bender, Rich Wheat, Greg Persing, David Nelson, Fred Mazzoni and Doug Hopkins to the Construction Board of Appeals effective August 8, 2017. The Construction Board of Appeals meet only as needed upon application, a fee of $500 will be charged to the applicant and that each member be compensated $100 plus mileage at the current IRS rates for these meetings each appointee attends. S. Craun seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Water Asset Management Plan Proposal by F&V Engineering – sent in today. RA Kuhlmann made a motion to authorize to proceed with the water system Asset Management Plan as presented in the amount of $3000. D. Delp seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Colon Chamber of Commerce request for 4th of July 2018 Street Clsoures for Parade and Vendor locations – RA Kuhlmann made a motion to close Blackstone Street from Main Street at blinker light to North Street for the 2018 4th of July Celebration to include Bordner Park from July 3rd at 7 PM until 11 PM, July 4th. D. Delp seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Council meeting location discussion – S. Craun will ask the Fire Board to allow for the Village Council to meet at the Fire Barn on the second Tuesday of each month.
- Fredenburg’s resignation as Office Manager – RA Kuhlmann made a motion to accept T. Fredenburg’s resignation with regrets and to name Ashley Staecker interim Office Manager at current Office Manager pay with no benefits. N. Percival seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Dan Earl asked about the Village Property on M-86. Also, Earl commented regarding the article in the Sturgis Journal about Mitchell.
- Mitchell – Colon Magic Rocks were a huge success
- Norton – Abbott Magic Factory has been sold and the new owner is planning to keep the business in Colon.
- Percival would like the Civility Statement to be addressed at the next Council meeting.
Adjournment – S. Craun made a motion to adjourn. RA Kuhlmann seconded the motion. Meeting adjourned at 8:47 PM.
Kurt P. Kuhlmann, Clerk/Treasurer