COLON VILLAGE COUNCIL
Colon Village Hall
REGULAR MEETING – September 12, 2017
Meeting Call to Order at 7:00 PM – Pledge of Allegiance was said
Present: Edith Doenges, Dick Delp, Ruth Ann Kuhlmann, Nancy Percival, Sharon Craun, Linda Norton, Diane Downs.
Also Present: Chief Brinkert, Jim Weinberg, Michael Mitchel, Mike Voss, Kelly Pucci, Gula Carter, Zach Delageranle, Jesse Nelson, and Kurt Kuhlmann.
Approve agenda: N. Percival made a motion to accept the agenda with the change to remove item c. from New Business, Motion carried.
Public Comments – None
Consent Agenda – N. Percival made a motion to approve the minutes from the August 8 meeting. A total amount for bills was not given. S. Craun seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Communications/Petitions/Miscellaneous – Council will send a thank you to P. Gilbert for book
- Department of Public Works –
- Delp made a motion to have G & J remove 6 trees at a cost of $4,400.00. RA Kuhlmann seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- RA Kuhlmann made a motion to hire Jeff Guiter as a part-time, temporary seasonal worker to help with the leaf removal beginning at the end of October and to receive part-time wages with no benefits. Delp seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- Police –
- RA Kuhlmann made a motion to have EVC, LCC of Kalamazoo, to install the video systems in the squad cars at a cost of $1000 for two squad cars. Craun seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- RA Kuhlmann made a motion to purchase upgraded personal equipment for Sgt. Herr at a cost of $1300.00. As this is not a budgeted item, the cost of the equipment will come from the Drug forfeiture fund. Craun seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Office Manager – No Report
- Village Manager
- Audit should be delivered this week. Presented at the October meeting.
- The 2010 irrigation contract with Sharp Farms was not presented do to some changes in the contract.
a.Sidewalk Repair Bid Specifications – the original bids had expired and Stump Company did not return our inquiries for an updated bid. Farrand Flat Iron went around with the Sidewalk Committee to update the scope of the work. Delp made a motion to hire Farrand Flat Iron to do the work at a cost of $10,500.00. L. Norton seconded the motion. Motion carried
b.Council Meeting Location – The Fire Board will be approached at the September meeting (9/13/17).
c.Fire Agreement – to be discussed at a later date.
d.Engagement Letter – on file
e. Goals for remainder of FY 2017-2018 & 2018-2019 – continuing
- 2000 Water Bond Refinancing – Jesse Nelson presented the Water Bond Refinance
- Percival made a motion to begin the general application process of refinancing the 2000 Water Bonds. S. Craun seconded the motion. A Roll Call Vote was taken. Yeah: L. Norton, S. Craun, N. Percival, RA Kuhlmann, D. Delp, E. Doenges, D. Downs. Nay: None.
- Craun made a motion to hire H.J. Umbaugh & Associate as the Village bond advisor. N. Percival seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- Online Banking Resolution – N. Percival made a motion to allow Interim Offica Manager, Ashley Staecker to enroll the Village in the online banking services for each financial institution that holds Village funds and designates the Interim Village Office Manger to act as Manager for these online accounts. Doenges seconded the motion. A Roll Call Vote was taken. Yeah: L. Norton, S. Craun, N. Percival, RA Kuhlmann, D. Delp, E. Doenges, D. Downs. Nay: None.
- Irrigation Agreement – tabled
- Firearm Discharge/Hunting within Village Limits –
- RA Kuhlmann made a motion to deny the request from Z. Delageranle to use fire arms to hunt on his property. Craun seconded the motion. The motion carried. D. Delp nay.
- The ordinance to discharge fire arms in the Village limits will be researched to possibly include bow.
- Water/Sewer billing from Tenant to Owner – N. Percival made a motion to update the Water/Sewer billing ordinance to remove the required Renter’s Deposit of $180.00 and place the owners name on the bill. Craun seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- Civility Statement – N. Percival made a motion to table the Civility Statement until further notice. Craun seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- Domestic & Sexual Abuse Services Request – The Village denied the request for a contribution.
- Trick or Treat Date and time – October 31 – RA Kuhlmann made a motion to set the Trick or Treat Date and Time to be Tuesday, October 31, 2017 from 4 PM until 6 PM. Craun seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- Homecoming Parade – October 13 – S. Craun made a motion to close State St. at 5 PM on Friday, October 13th for the Colon High school Homecoming Parade. RA Kuhlmann seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- Japanese Knotweed identified in Village – D. Delp made a motion to send a letter of support to the DNR to request funds to fight Japanese Knotweed. Craun seconded the motion. The motion carried with E. Doenges apposing.
- Special meeting has been set for September 27th at 6 PM to evaluate Village Manager M. Mitchel
- Photo of Knotweed
- Copy of Blight report – Marilyn McManus
- Personnel committee – working to do 6 month evaluation of Village Manager. Staecker cannot take the position of Village Office Manager.
- Park Board will work with the Lions Club to have a community Christmas party.
Adjournment – S. Craun made a motion to adjourn. RA Kuhlmann seconded the motion. Meeting adjourned at 8:32 PM.
Kurt P. Kuhlmann, Clerk/Treasurer